Monday, December 28, 2009

Tanks for the Memories...

Tankfail... I've started seeing it more & more. (and healfail, and DPSfail...)
.
I have seen a noticeable decline in the normal folks running in the PuG Heroics lately. My guess is that all the more hardcore, more determined, and such folks have got all their triumph badges, and have moved on to more gear-heaven-y pastures.
.
How so?
.
When the new LFG/Badge system was implimented oh-so-long ago (sarcasm) I would get into a fail PuG, maybe once in 10 runs. Now, I would say it's 50-50 at best. What makes a PuG fail? Here's what I think:
.
- Everyone is "moderately" geared , at best. Though there may better geared DPS or two, it won't really help unless they can off-tank.
and
-ANY of the following:
.
- woefully undergeared tank
or
- woefully undergeared healer
or
- moderately inexperienced (or dumb) tank
or
- moderately inexperienced (or dumb) healer
or
- all 3 DPS are dumb/undergeared
or
- one incredibad DPS (early pulls, etc)
.
.
If you have a uber-geared Tank, or Healer, they can save (many) fail PuGs from failure, simply because they can either tank or heal the stupid/etc.
.
The problem is, they are becoming less & less common. They've "out geared" the regular Heroics, and have moved on.
.
I also think the long wait times for DPS are contributing to this. On my server, it can easily take 20 minutes to find a group as DPS. As a tank, it's less than 10 seconds. (I assume it's similar for healers)
.
This has led more & more DPS people to play off-spec in an obvious attempt to get into runs more quickly. Fortunately, I have not seen any tanks port in and ask "who's the tank", like some have, but it's clear that many tanks & healers are second rate.
.
This includes me. (more on this later)
.
(and DPS? well, we're still the same lot of folks you had before, only with the best & brightest/geared-est of us moved on. ...durp durp..)
.
Per espempio....
.
I joined an LFG PuG that tried to run Utgarde Keep (UK). We wiped once just before the enslaved proto-drake area, TWICE in the protodrake area, (we killed the boss) and then wiped on the stairs leaving the level. TWICE.
.
The tank was a Blood Spec DK with a 4,200 gear score. (I mention GS, simply to give a sense of the group's gear) We had me at 4,000 GS, a hunter at 3,900, a 4,900 Warrior and Priest healer at 4,000-ish (don't remember exactly) So, we were NOT undergeared, by ANY stretch of the imagination.
.
Per my learnings from last weeks "5 things your PuG DPS (DK tank) want you to know", (see my second to last post) I make sure to give the DK Tank a few seconds to get aggro. (which lets me watch him "settle" into a spot, and let me circle behind) And then I start wacking.
.
I have to keep stepping back out of combat, hitting "Hand of Salvation" (aggro dump) and overall, just throttling the hell out of my DPS. EVEN when I ensure that I am attacking the target that the tank marked. (which he actually did a couple times) Mind you, I wasn't heavily buffed, and I was only doing ~2,500 DPS on any single mob.
.
After the second wipe, I put on my tank gear (still stayed Ret/DPS spec) Even at the lowered DPS (1,100 -1,600) I still managed to pull aggro a couple times. The best news was that I needed less healing, so the healer could focus more on the tank, etc etc.
.
The third wipe, I just lost focus, and when I noticed my health drop quickly, I bubbled and healed, only THEN did I realize that everyone else had already died. If I had been paying better attention, I would have tried running to at least save some gold.
.
The fourth wipe, the tank died, followed REALLY quickly they mobbed me and BOOM dead, even before the healer could help. Also, I had hit my Avenging Wrath key (not intentional) a minute or so earlier, which put my bubble on Forbearance (unable to use) so I died. (also, I had needed to Lay on Hands earlier, so it was on CD as well)
.
I then died a 5th time running back through the proto-drake area, because one of the mobs managed to aggro on me. The tank didn't want to clear the Drake room, so we had left a drake on either side and, evidently, I didn't stay far enough away, got aggro and died.
.
*leave group*
.
I had another equally fail group that got so bad that the tank left(again a DK that kept losing aggro) followed by the healer. And 3 DPS waiting for group in LFG, in a dungeon is going to be a looong wait. (we waited for 5 minutes - then *leave group*)
.
Katt had one group, with a tank & heal team (they were guildies) and the left group right after they killed the first boss in one instance. I guess they got whatever loot they wanted and bolted. I've not seen that behavior yet, so I can be thankful...
.
On the GOOD side, we had a couple REALLY competant groups run, including a Tank that ran us through Stratholme, and started off by asking "are we going for drakes of zombies?" Thanks to his work, Katt has a Bronze Drake. :)
.
.
Now about *my* sojourn into tanking...
.
I have a couple good pieces, and a few so-so pieces. My GS is 3,200, which is well above the recommended Heroic level (which is stated to be ~2,500 or so) However my n00b debuff is strong, so I did NOT go "random LFG PuG". I know the Violet Hold (VH) fights reasonably well, so I simply looked for group for THAT.
.
And even though I had a specific dungeon request, I *still* had a nearly instant invite.
.
So where did the n00b-fest start? Let's see...
.
Crusader Aura on? - check (makes faster mounted speed, not a combat spell)
Righteous Fury off? - check (increases my aggro - THE tanking spell)
Blessing of Sanctuary off? - check (THE tanking blessing)
Did I start the fight? - nope
Inadvertantly screw up my action bars because I lef them unlocked? - check
.
However, even though I *DID* get heckled a bit by a rogue (he had the time to create the macro that said: "Balthazario's business as usual") we finished the instance without anyone dying, and with only mild face chewing on the DPS folks. When I thanked the group for dealing with my n00bishness, the healer said "you did fine", which helped my bruised ego a tad...
.
So yeah, Tankfail is NOT limited to the folks on the other end of the network connection. (oh, and after running Vh the first time, I switched specs and ran Forge of Souls. But I left Righteous Fury on, and still had my tank gear equipped. Oops)
.
My next two runs through there (one regular, one heroic) both went much better.
Once I learn other instances better, I'll try tanking them as well. (Stratholme is my next likely target, followed by Nexus)
.
So, even if I can only run a couple instances this way, and even though I lose 2 "free" triumph badges (you only get the 2 extra if you use random) I can still earn badges faster this way. Mainly because I can run/tank 2 entire instances in the time it takes for me to simply queue for one on DPS.
.
So, while the loss of expertise, gear and skill of tanks & healers is frustrating to me as a DPS, I COMPLETELY understand why it happens.
.
I just wish they weren't such COMPLETE failures, so much of the time.
.
EDIT - yeah, blogspot is acting up and not seeing my carriage returns, so you're stuck with periods for paragraph breaks. *sad furlbog*

1 comment:

  1. Move to wordpress, dammit! =P

    Generally with groups I find they're either amazing or terribad - being terribad isn't too much of a problem, as you observe, because, as an over-geared healer, I can usually keep groups on their feet when they assuredly don't deserve it. The problem is if the DPS or incompetant and the tank it squishy - it usually leaves you in this awkward "juggling flaming plates" space which may, in fact, lead to wipes. Grrr.

    But grats on, err, popping your tanking cherry. And seriously, I've seen tanks in the middle of raids forget to put righteous fury on... pallies have so many fussy wossname that dying, or changing specs, is a really pain.

    ReplyDelete