Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Good, the Bad, the Ugly: Bad Sportsmanship Continued



My post the other day about jerks in PvP (the spawn campers and others) was done on a phone, and unfortunately, when I clicked "Save", it ended up publishing, and not just saving a draft. Doh.

So , I made a small edit, and just left it as it lay. However, I still had more to say and questions to ask, so here's the continuation:

As I mentioned a while ago, I play a ton of console games, such as HALO, Gears of War, Forza and others. With all the time I spend on XBOX Live (XBL), I see/saw a bunch of amazingly offensive assholes during games. Sexist, racist and any other nasty "-ist" or "-phobe"you can think of. If you don't have a group of friends to play with, I'm not sure there's a whole lot of value in playing long term. (unless you're one of those amazingly annoying assholes)
I know that you can /ignore idiots that won't shut up, but I wish there was more that could be done. On XBL I can "avoid this player" which (in theory) makes it so that you are less likely to get stuck playing with the jerk, but it DOES have one distinctly real world result: your "Reputation". Any time anyone looks up your gamertag (your "handle" on XBL) it shows your card (see below) that has your gamerscore (total points for your achievements) your recent games and rep(utation).




I have 5 stars (5 all white stars) which means I have a good reputation. People that act like jerks will have lower reputations, and are stuck with a bad reputation. It's your badge of behavior, good or bad.

In WoW, the /ignore is nice, but the bad apple will never realize they've been ignored, unless everyone on their server ignores them.

So how do we deal with this in the PvP portions of WoW? I guess make sure you have a group of friends when you play (be it just friends or your guild) so that you can avoid PUGs (pick up group) At the very least, try to bring ONE friend with you into the fray...

No comments:

Post a Comment